The paid version of BookPress includes a series of tools you can use to help motivate you in your writing by setting targets and tracking your progress towards these goals.
The Progess Tracking page for you book will look like this
Start by ticking the checkbox ‘Enable Progress Tracking’
Next set an approximate target word count for your book. There are lots of blog posts and arguments on the internet about the perfect length for any given genre so please feel free to ignore the recommendations here, but we suggest considering:
- Novels: 60,000 – 110,000 words
- Romance: 50,000 – 100,000 words
- Mystery: 75,000 – 100,000 words
- Thriller: 70,000 – 100,000 words
- Crime: 70,000 – 100,000 words
- Science Fiction: 90,000 – 120,000 words
- Historical: 90,000 – 110,000 words
- Memoir: 80,000 – 90,000 words
- Short story: 1000 – 8000 words
- Novella: 10,000 – 40,000 words
- Young Adult: 50,000 – 80,000 words
Next set your target start and end dates and your actual start and end dates. You can adjust these if they change for some reason
Finally, decide when you want to start a new cycle of tracking using the ‘Recording Settings’ – this will fix the point in each week from which we will track your word count.
To stop tracking progress once you have completed your book, tick the ‘Book is completed…” option.
Save your settings and the plugin should now start to track and display your progress.